This job ad has been posted over 40 days ago...
UNDP Jobs Vacancy in Kigali - Programme Officer
at UNDP in Kigali
Job Title: PROGRAMME OFFICER, NOD
Department/ Office: Economic Commission for Africa
Duty Station: KIGALI
Posting Period: 28 March 2012-27 April 2012
Job Opening number: 12-PGM-ECA-23173-R-KIGALI (R)
United Nations Core Values: Integrity, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity
This post is located in the Sub-regional Office of Eastern Africa (SRO-EA) of the United Nations Economic Commission for Africa (UNECA) in Kigali, Rwanda.
Under the overall guidance of the Director of SRO-EA and the direct supervision of the Head of the Business Support Cluster, the incumbent will be responsible for programme and project management functions at the SRO throughout their entire life cycle, including conceptualization, formulation, planning, resourcing, implementation, monitoring and evaluation, and closure. Specifically, the Programme Officer:
• Mainstreams results based management (RBM) and quality management in the operations of SRO-EA;
• Develops and implements assigned programmes and projects;
• Monitors, evaluates and analyzes programmes and project development and implementation;
• Reviews relevant documents and reports; identifies problems and issues to be addressed and initiates corrective actions; liaises with relevant parties; and ensures follow-up actions;
• Carries out research on selected programmatic and operational aspects of the work of SRO-EA including collecting, analyzing and presenting statistical data and other relevant information gathered from diverse sources;
• Provides substantive support for policy coordination and evaluation functions, including review and analysis of emerging issues and trends, participation in evaluations or research activities and studies;
• Generates surveys initiatives; designs data collection tools; researches, compiles, reviews, analyses, summarises and interprets responses and relevant information/data on a wide range of programmes/projects and related topics, highlighting noteworthy issues/trends for consideration by appropriate parties;
• Organises and prepares written outputs, e.g. draft annual report, background papers, analysis, sections of reports and studies, and other relevant inputs to publications;
• Provides full range of programme/project planning, preparation, management and implementation assistance at all phases of the SRO-EA programme/project cycle;
• Tracks UN mandates, resolutions and other legislative and statutory decisions and recommendations from other relevant bodies that affect programme/project content, distills relevant information for programmatic purposes and suggests options to incorporate in SRO-EA programmatic frameworks;
• Reviews, appraises and revises, as necessary, all submissions for substantive programmes/projects, ensuring compliance with mandates, guidelines and programme/project objectives and RBM principles;
• Supports resource mobilization efforts and works with funding agencies and development partners in arranging financing modalities; obtains requisite clearances; ensures establishment of proper monitoring systems through scheduled reporting, review meetings and missions;
• Supports activities related to budget funding (programme/project preparation and submissions, progress reports, financial statements, etc.) and preparation of related documents/reports (pledging, work programme, programme budget, etc.);
• Contributes to the formulation of SRO-EA business plans and to building-up of ECA partners profile and operationalises the ECA project management manual at SRO-EA;
• Drafts budget and forecasts based on submissions;
• Leads the preparation of monitoring checklists, identifying stages of programme/project development, funding source, and inputs by reviewing internal and external bodies, and follow-up actions required;
• Monitors budgetary commitments, including verification of charges and obligation documents in IMIS for all relevant financial transactions;
• Prepares periodic budget revisions and ensures appropriate resource allocations;
• Arranges for formal closures of projects, final budget revisions, and transfer of equipment, clearance, publication and distribution of final reports;
• Supports the organization of meetings, workshops and events organised by SRO-EA;
• Participates in the substantive activities of SRO-EA; and
• Performs other administrative and technical duties as assigned.
Knowledge and understanding of theories, concepts and approaches relevant to programme/project preparation, administration, implementation and evaluation, technical cooperation, programming and budgeting; Ability to identify issues, analyze and participate in the resolution of issues/problems; Ability to conduct data collection using various methods; Conceptual analytical and evaluative skills to conduct independent research and analysis, including familiarity with and experience in the use of various research sources, including electronic sources on the internet, intranet and other databases; Ability to use information technology to programming, financial and administrative work; Ability to apply judgment in the context of assignments given, plan own work and manage conflicting priorities; Shows pride in work and in achievements; Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; Remains calm in stressful situations; and takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; Solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; Places team agenda before personal agenda; Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; and shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
Planning & Organizing:
Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; Identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; and uses time efficiently.
Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honours commitments; delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards; operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules; Supports subordinates, provides oversight and takes responsibility for delegated assignments; and takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable.
AdvAdvanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in business administration, management, economics or a related field. A first-level university degree in combination with qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
AA minimum of seven years of progressively responsible experience in project or programme management, technical cooperation, administration or related area.
Fluency in one of the working languages of the UN Secretariat, English or French, (both oral and written) is required; knowledge of the other is desirable. Knowledge of another UN official language is an advantage.
Competency-based interview and other assessment method.
This position is for local recruitment.
United Nations Considerations
The United Nations shall place no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs. (Charter of the United Nations - Chapter 3, article 8). The United Nations Secretariat is a non-smoking environment.
THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING). THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS’ BANK ACCOUNTS.
Recent jobs at UNDP
Program Associate at UNDP in Kampala 25-01-2013
Development of a Domestic Tourism Study Individual Consultant at UNDP in Kampala 23-01-2013
Operation Assistant at UNDP in Bujumbura 22-01-2013
Support Program and Operations Assistant at UNDP in Bujumbura 22-01-2013
Individual Consultant at UNDP in Kampala 22-01-2013