This job ad has been posted over 40 days ago...
Pharmaceutical Waste Management Consultant Job in South Sudan
at UNDP in Juba
Job Title: Pharmaceutical Waste Management Consultant
Closing date: 03 May 2012
UN Development Programme
I. Position Information
Pre-classified Grade: International Individual Consultant
Supervisor: PSM Specialist
Department: UNDP South Sudan
GFATM- HSS Round 9
Application Deadline: 3rd May 2012
Application submission email: email@example.com
II. Organizational Context
In South Sudan, United Nations Development Program (UNDP) is a key partner to the Global Fund for the fight against AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria (GFATM) and is the United Nations (UN) agency assuming the role of Principal Recipient of GFATM grants in selected countries.
UNDP is the Principle Recipient of the Global Fund Round 9 Health System Strengthening Grant, on behalf of the Ministry of Health-MoH. One of the objectives of this grant is the safe management of Hospital and Pharmaceutical Waste across south Sudan. Presently the management of medical waste is fragmented, lacking a comprehensive systematic approach that addresses the key responsibilities, resource allocation, proper handling and disposal of medical and pharmaceutical waste. To this respect, UNDP intends to support the MoH with the establishment of a medical waste management system by putting in place the relevant infrastructure for safe handling and disposal of waste as well as engaging in national processes and discourse on waste management with relevant partners. UNDP will support the Procurement, Installation and Operationalization of Pharmaceutical and hospital waste incinerators in a number of sites in the country, including the training of health care workers in the operation and management of these incinerators.
The aim of this consultancy is to assist the Ministry of Health in setting up systems and for proper management of the Medical Waste. The consultancy is to address both the immediate and intermediate practical concerns and to set up a system.
III. Functions / Key Results Expected
Summary of key functions:
Assist the MoH on the assessment of the situation pharmaceutical and hospital waste management in S Sudan and in activities that provide a solution of the immediate needs
In parallel: provide a plan and budget for longer term solutions for safe and effective pharmaceutical and hospital waste management with national guidelines, institutional and staff capacity building, and assist in the mobilization of resources and implementation of these activities
• The consultant will conduct a situation assessment of pharmaceutical and hospital waste management in S Sudan. • Provide a plan, with budget and calendar, for immediately implementable short and long term solutions; take into account WHO and GF international guidance. • Take a lead and assist in the implementation these activities. Some of these activities have already been identified as there are : overseeing installation of pharmaceutical and hospital waste incinerators; develop SOP for sustainable functioning of these incinerators, collection and disposal of existing pharmaceutical waste and describe a system for regular collection and disposal of both pharmaceutical and hospital waste,
• Provide an overall plan, calendar, performance framework and budget for solutions for pharmaceutical and hospital waste management
o Development of policies, guidelines, manuals and standard operating procedures for safe management of pharmaceutical waste. o Organization of regular training and mentoring of identified officials in the respective hospitals in the proper operation and management of these incinerators. o Support to the MOH to implement and monitor sound health-care waste management systems, support capacity building, and ensure worker and community health. o Design of programs/activities for raising awareness of the risks related to health-care waste, and of safe and sound practices. o Support to the MOH in selecting safe and environmentally-friendly management options, to protect people from hazards when collecting, handling, storing, transporting, treating or disposing of waste. o Support to advocate and lobby for resources from RSS, donors, partners and other sources of external financing for contribution towards the management of waste associated with their interventions o Development of innovative solutions to reduce the volume and toxicity of the medical wastes they produce and associated with their products o Ensure that the private sector actors and NGOs take responsibility for the sound management of health-care waste associated with the products and services they provide, including the design of products and packaging o Ensure that other global health strategies and programs take into account health-care waste management
• Integrate the related activities of the Quality Assurance Plan (QAP) • Develop national guidelines for management pharmaceutical and hospital waste including laboratory waste • Provide and participate in institutional and staff capacity building in collaboration with WHO and other partners • Assist in the mobilization of resources and promote collaboration between the MoH pharmaceutical directorate and key implementing partners. • Assist in the implementation of the activities in the waste management plan (WMP) and • Monitor progress of the WMP • Evaluate results after one year of activities and adjust the plan accordingly.
The consultant will prepare progress reports for UNDP at the end of each mission and an end of mission reports.
Duration and venue:
The mission is expected to take a total of 17 weeks on site in S Sudan; in-country travel to the different incinerator sites may be required.
The mission will be done over the period of 12 months from the start of the mission.
8 weeks assessment and support to immediately implementable activities.
4 weeks overall plan implementation support and training
3 weeks overall plan implementation support and monitoring
2 weeks of evaluation and adjustment
Ten additional working days are available for further analysis, report writing and exchanges with the partners.
The mission is expected to start in May 2012
Final report by May 2013
IV. Impact of Results
The key impact of the post will be the achievement of project results as per the agreed project document and work plan. It will also ensure that a national system for proper management of pharmaceutical and hospital waste is put in place and well coordinated with the respective hospitals to ensure environmental safety.
• Performance management, developing people, coaching and mentoring • Team work and excellent communication skills • Analytical and strategic thinking in the area of Waste Management • Knowledge sharing and continuous learning
• Very good knowledge of principles and strategies of Safe Health Care Waste Management • Proven skills of working with national counterparts • Training and facilitation and mentoring skills • Building strategic alliances and partnerships • Knowledge and skills in management and operations of pharmaceutical and hospital waste • Analytical, Leadership and organizational development skills
• Good interpersonal skills; ability to work in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity • Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain effective work relationships with counterparts
VI. Recruitment Qualifications
• University degree in Environmental Health or Pharmacy and Masters Degree in Public Health/environmental health/ or any relevant field. • Additional qualification in Health Waste Management is an asset
• At least 7 years combined experience at National and International level, in public Health or environmental health, of which at least 3 years in Safe Health Waste Management or related field. • Demonstrated experience in development of systems for waste management and ensuring its implementation. • Experience of developing Policies, Manuals, Standard operating procedures for the management of pharmaceutical and/or hospital waste. • Training, facilitation and supervisory skills. • Knowledge of the management and maintenance of medical and pharmaceutical waste incinerators. • Proven ability to conceptualize, plan and manage programmes as well as to transfer knowledge and skills • Knowledge of practical use of computer (Ms. Word, Excel, PowerPoint and statistical software). • Experience of working in similar environment is an asset. Language Requirements:
• Excellent command of written and spoken English.
VII. DOCUMENTS TO BE INCLUDED WHEN SUBMITTING THE PROPOSALS
Interested individual consultants must submit the following documents/information to demonstrate their qualifications:
Personal CV including past experience in similar projects and at least 3 references and a cover letter explaining how education and experience gained add value to the assignment/project.
Contracts based on daily fee - Payments shall be made to the Individual Consultant based on the number of days worked at the agreed daily fee. The financial proposal should specify the daily fee and all other costs like airfare, per diems, etc. For evaluation purpose, the financial offer should provide breakdown of all costs. While preparing your proposal, kindly note that the standard for air travels authorized by UNDP for individual subscribers is economy class.
Travel All envisaged travel costs must be included in the financial proposal. This includes all travel to join duty station/repatriation travel. In general, UNDP should not accept travel costs exceeding those of an economy class ticket. Should the IC wish to travel on a higher class he/she should do so using their own resources.
Application Submission Address: Interested candidates should send their CVs and financial proposal to firstname.lastname@example.org
Hand/courier delivery should be addressed to:
Chol de Kwot
UNDP South Sudan Office
Juba Office Compound along Ministries Road
UNDP, as a matter of practice, does not charge any application, processing or training fee at any stage of the recruitment process.
How to apply:
Interested candidates should send their CVs and financial proposal to email@example.com
Recent jobs at UNDP
Program Associate at UNDP in Kampala 25-01-2013
Development of a Domestic Tourism Study Individual Consultant at UNDP in Kampala 23-01-2013
Operation Assistant at UNDP in Bujumbura 22-01-2013
Support Program and Operations Assistant at UNDP in Bujumbura 22-01-2013
Individual Consultant at UNDP in Kampala 22-01-2013