This job ad has been posted over 40 days ago...
UNEP Jobs Vacancy in Kenya
at UNEP in Nairobi
Job Title:BUDGET AND FINANCE ASSISTANT (2 posts), G7
Department/ Office: United Nations Environment Programme
Duty Station: NAIROBI
United Nations Core Values: Integrity, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity
The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is the United Nations system’s designated entity for addressing environmental issues at the global and regional level. Its mandate is to coordinate the development of environmental policy consensus by keeping the global environment under review and bringing emerging issues to the attention of governments and the international community for action. This post is located in the UNEP, Executive Office (EO) in the Office for Operations, under the direct supervision of the Finance and Budget Officer the incumbent will;
1. Budget; Undertakes reviews,analyses and preparation of the medium-term plan and its revisions. Reviews,analyses and assists in the finalization of cost estimates and budget proposals.
Assists managers in the elaboration of resource requirements for budget submissions.Undertakes research and provides support to higher level Finance & Budget Officers.
Provides input into the preparation of allotments. Monitors budget implementation/expenditures and recommends reallocation of funds as necessary.
Reviews requisitions for goods and services. Monitors extra-budgetary resources. Assists in the preparation of budget performance submissions.
Assists in finalization of budget performance reports. Monitors integrity of various financial databases. Verifies accuracy of input data. Co-ordinates with other finance and budget staff on related issues during preparation of budget reports.
2. Financial and management reporting; Preparation of monthly, quarterly reports,working on a continuous basis with the administrative, fund and line officers and staff in general on the details of the reports and the undertaking of the possible corrective actions, Preparation of other corporate reports on UNEP’s programme of work, Managing and reporting Fund Programme Reserve status.
3. Trust Fund management; Assist in establishment, closure, maintaining database updating contributions, interest income and commitments.
Maintain the trust funds’ database, create status reports on trust funds on a regular basis for use by Fund Management Officers;
Prepare allocation letters for approval by Chief of service for use of trust fund resources, monitor programme support costs generated,assist in financial reporting of the trust funds and earmarked contribution.
4. General; Keeps up-to-date on documents/reports/guidelines that have a bearing on matters related to programme and/or peacekeeping budgets. Drafts or prepares correspondence to respond to enquiries in respect to relevant financial and budget matters. Provides guidance, training and daily supervision to other general service staff in the area of responsibility. Acts as Certifying Officers on behalf of and in the absence of programme managers at offices outside headquarters. Backing up the Budget Assistant and to a lesser extent, other functions. Performs other related duties, as assigned.
-Speaks and writes clearly and effectively
-Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately
-Asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication
-Tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience
-Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed
-Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals
-Solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others
-Places team agenda before personal agenda
-Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position
-Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings
-Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honours commitments
-Delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards
-Operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules
-Supports subordinates, provides oversight and takes responsibility for delegated assignments
-Takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable.
Professionalism: Knowledge of administrative policies, processes and procedures generally and in particular those related to accounting, payments and administration; Demonstrated ability to apply good judgment in the context of assignments given; Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; Remains calm in stressful situations.
Completion of secondary education is required. Additional technical training in the field of accounting, finance or directly related fields is required.
A minimum of seven years of progressively responsible experience in budgeting, fund and project management or related field.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in oral and written English is required. Knowledge of another UN official language is an advantage.
Evaluation of qualified candidates for this position may include a substantive assessment which will be followed by a competency-based interview.
Staff members are subject to the authority of the Secretary-General and to assignment by him or her. In this context, all staff are expected to move periodically to new functions in their careers in accordance with established rules and procedures.
1. All applicants are strongly encouraged to apply online as soon as possible after the job opening has been posted and well before the deadline stated in the job opening. Online applications will be acknowledged where an email address has been provided.
2. If you do not receive an e-mail acknowledgement within 24 hours of submission, your application may not have been received. In such cases, please resubmit the application, if necessary. If the problem persists, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, quoting the job opening number in the subject header of your email.
United Nations Considerations
The United Nations shall place no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs. (Charter of the United Nations - Chapter 3, article 8). The United Nations Secretariat is a non-smoking environment.
THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING). THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS’ BANK ACCOUNTS.
Recent jobs at UNEP
Programme Assistant Jobs Vacancy at UNEP in Kenya at UNEP in Nairobi 25-10-2012
UNEP Senior Administrative Officer Jobs Vacancy in Kenya at UNEP in Nairobi 18-10-2012
Senior Programme Officer Jobs Vacancy at UNEP in Kenya at UNEP in Nairobi 01-10-2012
UNEP Programme Assistant Jobs Vacancy in Kenya at UNEP in Nairobi 01-10-2012
UNEP Project Officer Jobs Vacancy in Kenya at UNEP in Nairobi 26-07-2012